I LOVED Debbie McKinlay's talk today in our ward when she gave the example of how she dealt with her kids' mediocrity.
Anyway, she had an "epiphany" and decided to show them what it would be like if she did a "half-baked" job with certain things. That afternoon she picked them up from school (a special privilege), but told them to get out of the car when they were like 6 houses away from home. They were stunned and finally got out as she drove home into the garage. She told them to do their chores, one of which was to put their clean clothes away. She had them all washed and folded neatly on their beds, but she hadn't dried them at all. The kids were stupified by this as well. She would always respond, "Well, it's good enough for me," or something similar to that. Then at dinner she made hamburgers, french fries, salad, and brownies. She cooked hers and her husbands normally, but for the kids she browned the burgers on the outside but left them raw in the middle. She defrosted the fries but didn't cook them, and the salad was a head of lettuce, as well as the other produce, sitting in a bowl unwashed and unprepared. The brownies were the package poured into a bowl but not mixed. The kids were really confused and grossed out at this point, as the juices were dripping out of their raw burgers. Debbie and her husband were telling each other how great their meal was, as the kids sat their in shock. She then talked to them about doing jobs just well enough to get by but not doing them really well, which is what a lot of people do.
I think it was ingenious, and I'm not sure if it will work with my kids at this age, but I'll definitely use her inspiration in the future if need be. Brilliant and inspired! :)
Sunday, January 17, 2010
"Half baked"
Posted by Kerry at 10:08 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Love it!
I agree, her talk was great! I was super impressed that she followed through with it the entire day. I bet her kids won't soon forget that day either :)
That was a great sacrament meeting!
Post a Comment